Enabling Works Project Management
Site / Bristol Civil Justice Centre
Value / £2.2m
Timescale / 12 Months
Sanctus was appointed by Scottish Widows Investments Ltd to act as Principal Contractor for the enabling works phase of the new Bristol Civil Justice Centre at No. 2 Redcliff Street, Bristol. Sanctus realised the works in a safe, efficient, economic and sustainable manner with a minimal impact on the surrounding environment.
The site was particularly sensitive due to the proximity of a large office block and a listed church on the site boundary.
Sanctus managed the enabling phase with extensive liaison between the client, planning and design teams and regulatory authorities, and arranged for the disconnection of utilities prior to demolition works.
The Sanctus enabling package included;
- A pre-construction twenty five week archaeological investigation
- Site preparation, including health and safety file, welfare and meeting facilities, security fencing, tenant liaison and temporary highway works
- Earthworks included the environmental soil classification for offsite disposal, and onsite treatment of groundwater under Sanctus’ mobile treatment licence
- Intricate demolition works and structural propping on an existing underground car park adjacent to a tenanted multi-storey office block, and removal of a basement and associated structures to 6m below ground level
- Foundations – Structural design and assessment, installation of sheet piled wall with CFA piles acting as thrust blocks due to poor ground conditions so allowing excavation of the basement area
- Noise reduction measures for minimal impact on surrounding businesses and residents
- Sanctus prepared a piling mat to the specification required by the piling contractor
- Sanctus kept a health and safety file of the scheme which was passed on following the completion of works.