Remediation and Relict Structure Removal
Site / Leeds College of Art
Value / £730k
Timescale / 14 weeks
Sanctus was selected by the Leeds College of Art to carry out the combined remediation and enabling works to facilitate construction of a new building across the very limited area of their existing car park in the centre of Leeds.
The works included;
- Using our experience to assist the Environmental Consultant design the remediation and enabling works
- Asbestos control measures, including dust suppression systems and air monitoring, and deployment of our Asbestos Licence
- Controlled removal of identified asbestos contamination, including pipes covered in friable lagging
- Breaking out of historic 7m deep two-storey basement and swimming pool structure
- Excavation of demolition material used to backfill the basement structure
- Design and use of excavation support systems to protect adjacent buildings, party walls, and main carriageways
- Screening and crushing of excavated and broken out materials to recycle and generate a geotechnically suitable material
- Engineered placement of recycled material
- Environmental and Geotechnical conformance and performance testing
- Offsite disposal of recovered asbestos waste and contaminated soil
- Construction of a multi-split level piling mat
- Verification reporting.
Sanctus received the Brownfield Briefing 2017 Winners Award for ‘Best Re-use of Materials on a Project’ for these remediation works, completed in conjunction with WYG Group.